Mystery snails can benefit from eating vegetables and fruits like strawberries as they are rich in minerals and vitamins. However, you need to consider the effect of adding fruits that can alter the pH of the water in the tank.

So, can you feed mystery snails strawberries?

Mystery snails love to eat strawberries, but it is not recommended to add them to a tank in large quantities. Strawberries are acidic with a pH of around 3.5, meaning if left in the water, they can alter the chemistry of your aquarium to a more acidic level. Acidic water is known to erode snail shells over time.

Therefore, while strawberries can be beneficial, they can also increase the risk of your snail losing its shell due to erosion and peeling.

Mystery snail eating strawberry
A mystery snail eating a ripe strawberry fruit in an aquarium.

The nutritional benefits of strawberries

Here’s the nutritional information of strawberries as provided by the USDA:[1]

Potassium233 mg
Vitamin C89.4mg

Strawberries have great nutritional value that can benefit mystery snails. For example, they’re rich in vitamin C (89.4mg) and calcium (16mg). Calcium is especially beneficial for mystery snails as they use it to build and maintain their shells.

One way to meet some mystery snails’ nutritional requirements is by feeding them mineral and vitamin-rich fruits and vegetables. Strawberries would also make for a good source of calcium for mystery snails.

An unripe strawberry has five percent sugar, but when ripe, the sugar content will increase to between 6% and 9%. The citric acid in a strawberry is about 88%, while malic and ellagic acid takes the remaining 12%. [2]

As such, ripe strawberries can provide adequate energy for mystery snails to keep them active as they feed on the algae and biofilm in the tank.

Caution: Do not add too many strawberries to your aquarium if you want to treat your snails. The acid in the strawberries can alter the tank’s water chemistry and threaten the snails and other creatures you’re keeping.

What fruits can mystery snails eat?

They require a calcium and protein-rich diet. Therefore feeding them vegetables is essential, but you should substitute them with fruits such as the following:

  • Grapes
  • Melon
  • Kiwi
  • Apple
  • Pear
  • Pawpaw
  • Banana
  • Mangoes
  • Apricot
  • Cherries

Apart from the above fruits and vegetables, mystery snails can also eat oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and hibiscus.

Mystery snails can also eat the following fruits, but you should feed them in moderation because they contain citrus acid.

  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Peaches
  • Plums
  • Raspberries
  • Blackberries

Keep your snails well-fed to prevent them from eating fish eggs in the aquarium.

Fruits you should not feed mystery snails

  • Oranges
  • Like
  • Tomatoes
  • Lemons
  • Pineapple
  • Passion
  • Avocado
  • Grapefruit
  • Passion
  • Pomelo
  • Tangerine

Mystery snails also should not be fed with onion family plants because they can kill them. They include garlic, leeks, chives, onion, and shallot.

Lastly, you should never give mystery snails processed food like pasta, rice, bread, and millet because they cause bloating. Sugar and salt are very toxic to mystery snails. Salt draws water from the snail’s skin, causing dehydration, and the snail will die in minutes.

How to prepare strawberries for mystery snails

If you want to give your mystery snails some strawberry treats, ensure you prepare them well to avoid risking the pet’s life.

Select strawberries that have been grown organically, as these will provide the most nutritional benefit. I recommend ripe fruit because it contains less acid compared to unripe fruit. Remember, we want to minimize the acid we add to the aquarium to keep it healthy.

Rinse the strawberries thoroughly, then chop each fruit into two pieces. Add the pieces into the aquarium and let the snails enjoy the treat. One or two strawberries are enough for every snail since mystery snails can overfeed due to their huge appetite.

Remember to clean up any leftover strawberries to avoid too excess rotting plant matter and food in the tank.


Mystery snails can eat strawberries, and they love them. However, feed them in moderation as a treat because the snails can overeat, and the strawberries can leach citric acid into the water, altering the tank’s chemistry.

  • [1]”Raw Strawberries Nutritional Data,”   Fdc, Apr. 1, 2019. Jan. 1, 1970).
  • [2]Cotton, S. What’s in your strawberries? | Feature | RSC Education. Edu.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *